Senior Fermentation Scientist
Category: Research & Development
Shenandoah Biotechnology, Inc., a FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific company, is a leading manufacturer of recombinant proteins. Our vision is to provide a superior and affordable source of recombinant proteins to the academic and industrial scientific research communities. Our team are a passionate group from diverse backgrounds. Our headquarters and state-of-the-art, manufacturing facility is located in Warminster, Pennsylvania. Founded in April 2006, we joined Fujifilm Group in March 2022 and are rapidly expanding our operations.
At Shenandoah, rather than strive to be the largest, we strive to be the best. We are compassionate in our work, driven by integrity and dedicated to a superior standard of excellence. It is important to us to create a working environment for our employees that is filled with respect, humor and gratitude so we can give our very best to our customers.
We are hiring a Senior Fermentation Scientist. The Senior Fermentation Scientist will develop, optimize and execute fermentation protocol while integrating and interpreting fermentation results among shake flask, lab-scale, pilot-scale and commercial-scale fermentation systems.
- Design, conduct, and analyze complex experiments with minimal supervision while adhering to project deadlines
- Develop, optimize and execute fermentation protocols while integrating and interpreting fermentation results among shake flask, lab-scale, pilot-scale and commercial-scale fermentation systems
- Mentor junior team members to further develop their scientific know-how and technical depth of fermentation processes and systems
- Mentor and train the fermentation team on characterization methods required to analyze fermentation processes
- Generate detailed SOPs and batch records for all fermentation operations and process analysis in compliance with the Shenandoah QMS, and/or guidelines.
- Provide sound scientific and hands-on technical expertise in fermentation development and process design for the production and release of high-quality material
- Oversee and assist with sourcing, maintenance, and calibration of critical fermentation equipment
- Conduct all work in strict compliance with all applicable safety requirements, containment requirements, standard operating practices
- Maintain an awareness of current issues in plasmid processing, authoring technical documents, regulatory filings, supporting quality events and change controls, and contributing to technology transfer to collaboration partners
- Prepare and maintain master and working stocks of microbial strains following written procedures, and revise or develop preparation protocols
- Prepare technical transfer documentations and communicate with Operations for purification scale up development and production support and support tech transfer documents.
Experience / Education:
- Masters or B.S. in a Biological/Chemical Science plus relevant 6 to 10 years of relevant work experience
- Analyze and interpret data.
- Knowledge of E. coli protein development and optimization
- Knowledge of shakers, fermenters from 5 – 100-liter scale
- Knowledge of commonly used experimental/research concepts, practices, and procedures.
- General knowledge of computer systems and productivity software.
- Ability to speak, write and read English fluently.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
Shenandoah Biotechnology, Inc., a FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of FUJIFILM about this requisition. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at FUJIFILM via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of FUJIFILM, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by FUJIFILM for this requisition and a valid agreement with FUJIFILM is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the FUJIFILM agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.